Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Rustic bathroom shelves





Our main bathroom medicine cabinet fell apart a couple of weeks ago (I suspect that children were using the cabinet door to hang onto as they climbed up on the sink).... the cabinet didn't look fantastic anyhow (the bottom shelf had already broken off), so when the door tore completely off, I knew there would be no hope of reviving it.

The old broken cabinet
I didn't want to buy a new cabinet, because I figured the same thing would happen again... so I decided to put up shelves instead. I had some plain pieces of wood that I'd picked up from the Habitat for Humanity store for 25 cents each (and didn't use for a different project), which were perfect because I didn't have to cut them!

The wood was worn and somewhat uneven, but I thought it would look good (eventually). I painted each piece of wood with a mixture of brown, gray, and black craft paints that I had on hand until they had even more of a rustic sort of look. Then when they were all dry, I painted on a clear-coat of polycrylic (the clear coat will help to protect the wood from moisture and toothpaste, etc and make it easier to wipe off).

Unpainted wood


Next, I took the cabinet off of the wall and started prepping...

Had to paint over purple & blue behind the cabinet! 
measuring





Spray painted the hardware inside the old cabinet



Here is the finished project! 






I purchased some simple brackets, some self-drilling drywall anchors, and some hammered-metal black spray paint (to spray on the brackets and screws). Total cost (including the three 25 cent pieces of wood) was about $14.


1 comment:

  1. You are amazing! I would have just whined and asked hubs to fix it.

    ReplyDelete